1. The time of the current wind observations for a particular state. If multiple wind observations in different states are setup, these will be listed here. The app does not auto refresh wind observations. New wind/temperature observations should be available every 10 minutes approximately. Red text is displayed when the app determines that new wind observations will be soon available (i.e. you should try to refresh the map).
2. The wind observation menu. This menu has different options for customising the map content only. The menu has the following options:
-> save your home view. Whenever the app starts, the home view will be displayed. You could set this to be the city you live in, for example. There is also a choice to go to the home view at any time.
-> wind observations to display. Wind observations are loaded on a per-state basis. Only 4 states can be loaded at once. We recommend only loading 1 or 2 states for the best performance and minimal data usage. Wind observations come from the Bureau of Meteorology.
-> rain radar to display. Rain radar images are loaded on a per-state basis. Only 1 state can be loaded at once. Rain radar images are shown in different locations for each state, usually over main cities such as Brisbane, Melbourne etc.
-> map display. The map type can be changed to display roads, localities etc. The default map type is satellite.
-> wind units. The wind strength can be displayed in either knots or km/h units. The default is knots.
-> temperature observations to display. Temperature observations can be displayed for some wind stations, and are shown in yellow. Temperature observations come from the Bureau of Meteorology. Not all wind stations provide temperature data.
3. Current location. If this button is pressed, the app will try to determine your current location using GPS, and zoom to your current location if possible. This button can be pressed several times to alternate between GPS displays (and to turn off the current location function).
4. Location search. You can search for any location in Australia by typing in a locality name, such as "St Kilda". If a location is found by the app, it is displayed, and the map is centered over this location. A pin is also dropped at the selected location on the map. The pin can be removed by selecting the location search option again and selecting the "Remove Pins" option.
6. Wind station data. Displays an arrow representing the current wind direction and strength. The arrow length is standardised on a per-state basis, thus, a small arrow for a station in Western Australia means it is not very windy at that station relative to other wind stations in Western Australia. The wind observation data is displayed in the format:
Average Wind SpeedWind Strength Unit(Wind Gust)DirectionTemperature
12 kts (14) WNW 6.0 C
Touching a wind station will display the wind observation history for that station. Some wind stations display the text below the arrow, while most display the text above the arrow.
Touching the map between wind station text will toggle the full screen mode for the map.
7. Refresh button. Touch here to refresh wind observations for all states that have been setup to display wind observations.